Friday, April 1, 2011

Stefan Zweig a famous Austrian writer once said of Rio de Janeiro:

"I've never beheld such a paradise. The people are enchanting and a mercy on this earth of ours. This is the only place where there isn't any race question. Negroes and whites and Indians, three-quarters, one eighth, the wonderful Mulatto and Creole women, Jews and Christians, all dwell together in a peace that passes describing."

What else can I add about this amazing place!!!

Personally, I think Rio is without doubt the most naturally beautiful city I have ever visited. It may not have the architecture of European cities and it can be very unkept and dirty but I am continually mesmorised by the naturally beautiful surroundings. The idyllic combination of boisturous beaches, magnificant mountains, an enchanting lake, the aura of Jesus Christ Statute and as a result all the incredible views make it an oasis of astonishing beauty and alluring charm!

These pictures below speak much more than any words!








Yet again I spent one week in Rio with great friends. This was my fourth time in Rio and each time I have been fortunate to stay with the family of my great buddy Mauricio and his sister Celia. I feel like an extended part of the family and have been fortunate to have become very friendly with all their cousins and friends!

I met Mauricio and Celia in Sydney in 2002/2003 when we were flatmates and I have stayed with them and their family every time I have visited Rio. Mauricio also visited me twice in Dublin and he put up my little sister Aisling and her friend Aine for a week when they visited Sydney a few years back. A few of ye will have met the mighty Mauricio when he was in Dublin. Mauricio would be up there in my top 5 best buddies. Yet again both incredible Brazilian people!!!

Rio is the most famous city in Brazil and pretty much anybody reading this will know something about it regardless of whether they have visited it. Most of ye will associate Rio with incredible beaches, home of samba, Carnaval, producing fantastic footballers, the Maracana football stadium, the nightlife, the favelas (shanty towns), the Sugerloaf, Jesus Christ Statue and of course the beautiful ladies!!!



      The Brazilian Bottom. Defintely what the guys drool over the most here!


Rio is all of the above but in truth so much more!!! It has an incredible vibe to it and it really is like no other city in the world. The stunning backdrop of beautiful beaches and majestic mountains situated in the heart of the city centre makes the city so alluring. To top that you have the 24/7 nightlife and the Carioca`s (name for those who reside in Rio) lust for life which ensures you can never be bored here! Many travellers you meet, after spending time in Rio, say they feel that they never spent enough time there to fully appreciate all it has to offer.

The beaches in Rio are arguably the most beautiful in the world. The main beach-front is the stretch from Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon. Cocacapana was made famous worldwide in Barry Manolew`s song in years gone by but most tourists head for Ipanema. The continuous "Orla" (Portuguese for beachfront and named after me wee sister!) for the three beaches combined would take you c 2 hours to walk so the choice of beach available is quite staggering and no wonder why it is such an essential part of a Carioca´s life. Then you also have other beaches on the edge of the city which are unknown to most tourists but am told equally if not more beautiful than the famous ones.





Some pretty poor shots of the beautiful beaches. I don't think I will get offered a job as a cameraman!


I spent a week there and had a super time. I didn`t go clubbing but had plenty of beers when catching up with friends. I got to play 5 a side football with guys Edylson (Celia´s cousin) plays with each week. I managed to score a couple of goals and yet again it was beers and cut up steak after playing with a great bunch of guys.



After the footie with the lads all glued to the Flumienese match on the box!



                                      Playing 5 a side in Rio!!!


I also got to see Ronaldinho play for Flamengo in the semi-final of the Rio State Championship against Botafogo. Flamengo is my team in Rio and we managed to win out on penalties. The atmosphere in the stadium far exceeds anything we have in Europe. The fans are fanatical and incredibly passionate when in the stadium. They sing and dance the entire game and you get a good mix of young and old of both genders! Every person supports a team and the infamous Bill Shankley line of "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" seems particularly apt in Rio and in truth all of Brazil.



                            What an atmosphere!!! Roll on World Cup 2014!



                                             Fanatical Flamengo fans!


                                      Chanting all the game!!!!!!!!!


                                               More chanting!!!


Even a bit of love at the game! You would get a lot of young ladies who go to the games and often more fantacial then the guys - very different from home!!!



                                              Great fans!!!!



Guys playing foot-volley on the beach. One of the most skillful things I have ever seen. The ball can stay in the air for over a minute on occasions!!!


Rio will be very busy in the coming 5 or so years. It will host the Olympics in 2016 and also will most likely be the main hub for the Football World Cup being hosted in Brazil in 2014. As a result, the city will see an incredible surge in tourist numbers and I know a few reading this have plans to visit during either of these two famous sporting occasions. Rio is very much on the world map but it will be the centre of the world´s attention in the coming years and so many people are going to be very fortunate to experience its charms for the first time. I just hope they don`t put the prices up too high which they do all the time during Carnaval.

With this being my fourth time in Rio, I spent pretty much all of my time meeting up with old friends from the city. Yet again I was engulfed by the incredible Brazilian hospitality. I was chauffered everywhere, put up for a week in my friends place, brought here there and everywhere and always made feel the centre of attention. People in Brazil really enjoy having people visit you and the welcome they give you is another level to anything I have experienced elsewhere. I know I have mentioned this on numerous occasions in other pieces but I really can`t emphasise this point enough and for me it is what makes Brazil so special!

It was great to meet up with all Mauricio`s & Celia`s family and friends (Boca, Tulli, Margaret, Sasa, Daniella, Rogerio, Patricia, Dudu, Helena, Rubens, guys we played footie with etc......) but I must give special mention to Celia and her cousin Edylson. They really looked after me and pretty much put any plans they had for the week aside in order to ensure I had the best time possible.

I was very fortunate to become a flatmate with Celia and her brother Mauricio in Sydney back in 2002. How litle was I to know then that as a result I would benefit from so many great trips to Brazil purely as a result of my luck in having them as flatmates.

I am a lucky boy and muito muito obrigado a Xixo, Celia, Eddy e otros amigos y amigas!!!!



                                           Celia having a giggle! A great girl!



Mise and Eddy - Eddy and myself are always taking the mickey out of each-other. He is a very funny guy!



                                          (Viejo) Eddy and Celia messing!



All the gang at the wall by the famous lake in Rio. We had some good laughs that night!


Myself, Margaret and Tulli (hope I spelt his name correct!)



Sasa and Celia. Sasa got married recently and he's gone a little quieter from the mad man I first met a few years ago! Seriously passionate Flamengo fan!



Sasa, Rogerio and Rogerio's son Dudu outside the football stadium on match day! Dudu is a real character and a footie fanatic. He trains with the Flamengo youth team so hopefully we will hear more from him in the future! His Dad Rogerio is a really classy guy whose not a bad footballer himself.


                                  
                                     Me, Sasa and the cheeky Dudu!

Tcahu for now,
James

ps I also spent a few days chilling in Paraty, which a small seaside town between Rio and Sao Paulo. I did very little there as I reckoned I needed some rest before Carnaval but have added some pics below! It is a really beautiful place but unfortunately the weather was a bit mixed!


















3 comments:

  1. Nice one J!
    Let's hope the influx of tourist R$ goes towards redressing the imbalance in Brasil.
    Fewer parties, more education please! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigado primo! I still remember the first proper conversation I ever had about Brazil, which was with your good self while in the car driving around Dublin´s city centre and you educating me about Rio etc..... Think you may have planted a little thought then and look where it´s lead me!!! Ate luego amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Stefan,

    First I must say, you take great photos. Thanks for sharing!

    I am an indie filmmaker currently working on a documentary regarding sex and power. There is a segment that explores sports and attraction. One of your photos could go nicely with the academic discussion. Specifically the one with the young couple embracing in the stands.

    I respect copyright and would like to use it with your written permission.

    Thanks,

    Lawrence Ferrara
    midnightbluefilms@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete